We learned how difficult it can be for those with suicidal thoughts to open up, and how difficult it is for the people around them to find the right questions to ask. There are many barriers:
• Feeling scared by the severity of the word ‘suicide’.
• Being worried about offending the person they ask.
• Feeling ill-equipped to have the conversation.
• Being scared of what answer they might get.
• Knowing something’s up but believing it’s ‘not that serious’.
• Feeling that someone else would be better equipped to deal with it.